Partner, Shearman & Sterling
Sarah McLean, a partner in Shearman & Sterling’s Mergers & Acquisitions practice in Texas, has over 20 years of experience as a trusted advisor to private equity funds and management teams focused on the energy sector. She has represented them in connection with portfolio company investments, acquisitions and divestitures of upstream and midstream oil and gas assets and companies, formation of joint ventures, and various private equity transactions, project documents and operating agreements across the entire oil & gas value chain.
After growing up in northwest Oklahoma, she obtained a B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, with honors, from Oklahoma State University and a J.D. from the University of Texas School of Law. Sarah and her children are active volunteers with Generation Serve and the recipients of the 2018 Wally Pilcher Family Volunteering Award.
- Representation of EnCap Investments in 2017 in connection with portfolio company commitments in excess of $2.1 billion
- Representation of EnCap Flatrock Midstream in 2017 and Q1 2018 in connection with portfolio company commitments in excess of $1.3 billion
- Representation of Post Oak Energy Capital in connection with equity commitments to PetroEdge Energy IV, LLC, Veritas Energy Partners, LLC, Crown Oil Partners VI, LLC, Moriah Henry Partners, LLC, Mavros Minerals, LLC Mavros Minerals II, LLC, and Sierra EF, L.P.
- Representation of Oryx Midstream Services and Oryx Midstream Services II in connection with obtaining equity commitments from Post Oak Energy Capital, Quantum Energy Partners, and Wells Fargo Energy Capital
- Representation of a Midland-based company focused on acquiring, exploiting, and developing oil and gas properties in the Permian Basin in its equity invemstnet from a Houston-based private equity and venture capital firm focused on oil and natural gas
- Representation of Luxe Energy LLC in connection with its $500 million funding commitment from NGP Natural Resources XI, L.P.
- Representation of Castlelake L.P. in connection with equity commitments to Perpetual Production – MidCon, LLC
- Representation of a private held exploration, production and development company focused on unconventional reserves in South Texas and the Midland Basin in obtaining equity commitments from several investors
Acquisitions and Divestitures
- Representation of BC Operating, Inc. in connection with the $1.1 billion sale of 70,000 net surface acres in the Permian Basin to Marathon Oil Corporation
- Representation of a privately held exploration, production and development company focused on unconventional reserves in South Texas and the Midland Basin in their $501 million sale of oil and gas properties to affiliates of one of the largest oil and gas companies in the United States
- Representation of PetroLegacy Energy II LLC in its $266 million acquisition of roughly 20,000 net acres in northeastern Martin County, Texas from Pioneer Natural Resources
- Representation of a private equity firm and its portfolio company, a Houston-based exploration and production company, in the acquisition of commonly owned oil and gas properties in the Permian Basin from two separate companies for a total purchase price of more than $211 million
- Representation of EnCap Investments and Payrock Energy Management in connection with the $888 million sale of Payrock Energy Holdings, LLC to Marathon Oil Corporation
- Representation of EnCap Flatrock Midstream in connection with the $2 billion sale of EagleClaw Midstream Ventures to Blackstone Energy Partners
- Representation of Titanium Exploration Partners, LLC in its acquisition from Vanguard Natural Resources, LLC of natural gas, oil, and natural gas liquids assets in the SCOOP/STACK for $272.5 million
- Representation of EnCap Investments in connection with the sale of Felix Energy to Devon for $2.5 billion and representation of EnCap Flatrock Midstream in connection with the sale Tall Oak Midstream to EnLink Midstream for $1.55 billion
- Representation of a privately held, Midland-based oil and gas company focused in the Permian Basin in its $290 million sale of assets to an oil and gas exploration and production company
- Representation of of EnCap Flatrock Midstream in connection with $1.5 billion sale of Nuevo Midstream to Western Gas Partners
- Representation of three privately owned oil and gas companies in the disposition to a foreign-owned oil and gas company of oil and gas assets and equity interests in a limited liability company holding midstream assets for $540 million cash
- Representation of a NYSE corporation in the acquisition of interests in a limited liability company holding oil and gas assets in Alabama for $210 million cash
- Representation of a seller in connection with the sale of assets in Texas and Oklahoma to a NYSE corporation for approximately $900 million in cash and stock
Sarah has previously moderated the FEMALE LEADERSHIP IN ENERGY panel at the North America Assembly