Partner, Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP
Dan's practice focuses on corporate finance, private equity and M&A transactions, as well as corporate governance, shareholder activism, and general securities and corporate law compliance.
Dan has extensive experience acting for issuers, underwriters and investors in capital market financing transactions, including initial public offerings, public and private debt and equity financings, private equity fund formation, and strategic investments by private equity groups.
In his M&A practice, Dan advises companies and investors on public and private M&A and reorganization transactions, including public take-over bids, amalgamations, plans of arrangement and private sales. He also advises companies in respect of shareholder activism, take-over defence preparedness and corporate governance issues.
In addition to his experience with the Firm, Dan worked for more than three years as a lawyer in the corporate and M&A practice groups of a major Wall Street law firm.
Recent representative transactions include advising:
M&A, Reorganizations and Shareholder Activism
- TransCanada Corporation on its US$13-billion acquisition of Columbia Pipeline Group Inc.
- Arcan Resources Ltd. in connection with its C$171.25-million debt for equity exchange, and subsequent C$300-million acquisition by Aspenleaf Energy Ltd.
- C&C Energia Ltd. on its C$668-million sale to Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp. and the resulting spin-out of Platino Energy Corp.
- Agrium Inc. in connection with its successful proxy contest with JANA Partners LLC
- SilverBirch Energy Corporation on its C$435-million sale to a subsidiary of Teck Resources Ltd. and resulting spin-out of SilverWillow Energy Corporation
Corporate Finance and Private Equity:
- TransCanada Corporation on its C$4.4-billion offering of subscription receipts to finance a portion of the acquisition of Columbia Pipeline Group Inc.
- The underwriters in connection with the C$650-million offering of subscription receipts by Inter Pipeline Ltd. to finance a portion of the purchase price for the Canadian operations of The Williams Companies Inc. and Williams Partners LP
- The underwriters in connection with the C$930-million initial public offering (IPO) and TSX listing of Seven Generations Energy Ltd.
- The underwriters in connection with the C$500-million initial public offering (IPO) and TSX listing of Northern Blizzard Resources Inc.
- JOG Capital in connection with the formation of its three most recent private equity funds, offerings of limited partnership units by such funds and a number of private company investments by such funds
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Dan is recognized as a leading lawyer in several publications:
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 (Private Equity)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2016 (Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity)
- Who's Who Legal: Energy – 2013-2015
- The 2011 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Lawyers to Watch)
- Lexpert magazine, November/December 2010 (Rising Stars: Canada's Leading Lawyers 40 and Under)